Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Demolition Derby Fun

Non-windsurfing post alert....but fun nonetheless (depending on your tastes)....

Anyone remember that cliffhanger episode of "Happy Days" where we were introduced to Pinky Tuscadero as she was competing in a demolition derby and Fonzi jumping the cars as the cliffhanger? We see this pink car just completely destroying all the other cars and we're wondering who this "guy" is who is driving the pink junker. "He" gets out of the car, takes off "his" helmet, and it turns out to be a tall attractive long haired redhead who is Fonzi's girlfriend. Anyway...

Although I love to have new and interesting experiences at least once, I don't really have an official bucket list. If I did have a bucket list, it would have included going to a real demolition derby.

Check that one off the list...

Kris was out of town for the weekend, so I had daddy duty and had the kids all to myself. So what to do?

Fortunately, I know of a little dirt race track (Millbridge Speedway)that I pass every week when I go visit one of my customers. For the last 2 months, there has been a sign out front advertising an upcoming demolition derby. I passed it so many times, it finally got my attention and it finally hit me like a brick that maybe the kids will love to see this too.

So I included some neighbors and their kids in my fiendish fun just to make sure more people shared in this new experience (and in case it turned out to be terrible, we could share in the misery). You may not believe it but we had an awesome time. The kids of course loved it. It was hilarious...watching grown men (and one woman) beating the you-know-what out of each other in old junkers with doors welded shut, big customized bumpers, and other parts mish-mashed on their cars for efficiently wrecking each other. I have to say I loved it as did my friends/neighbors and their kids.

This was apparently a big deal with an actual winners purse of $750 to the winner of the compact class and $900 to the winner of the 8 cylinder class. Folks came from all over NC & SC. Someone told our group that some of these cars are bought for $50 from junk yards and "souped up for wrecking" as a hobby. This is a passion for them just like windsurfing is a passion for us. They even have their own internet forum and Demolition Derby Association.

No better way to share this than to show a quick 1.5 minute video. Expand your minds, broaden your horizons, and turn up the volume!


Demolition Derby from WaterTurtle Productions on Vimeo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Being from the great state of NC I am shocked this was your first derby!! I'm betting the station wagon won (they used to always win at the county fair demo derby's in Indiana!) Glad you guys had fun!