Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Walk in the Woods



Yes, I'm stealing the title from that hilarious take on hiking the Appalachian Trail, written by Bill Bryson. I had my own walk in the woods this morning at Crowders Mountain State Park. I went for a 7.5 mile hike with a 50 lb pack on my back. I'm actually doing some conditioning for a backcountry hiking/camping trip to Colorado next month. Crowders Mountain provided some good long inclines to really get my legs and feet going. Tonight I am feeling it...very worn out.

Crowders Mountain is only 45 minutes away from my house. North Carolina has a great state park system and all these parks are very well maintained. We're very fortunate to have this.

Anyway, a great way to start off Father's Day. I was on the trail at 8am and back home by lunchtime and spent the rest of the day with the family. The picture above was taken at the summit's overlook.

No comments: