In the last 10 days, as if I was in the Gorge, I've:
- Had a windsurfing dawn patrol session in warm & strong SW wind while watching the sunrise and still got to work on time that morning.
- Flat water SUP workout
- Downwind SUP workout (paddled a good distance upwind, then back downwind...but the drop off downwinder is certainly possible)
- Single track mountain biking on 14 miles on some of Charlotte's finest trails at the US National Whitewater Center (& located just off the Catawba River which Lake Norman is part of)
- Wrapped it up today with a fun 5.5 windsurf session in strong NW wind.
- If there was more snow this season, we'd be skiing 2.5 hr drive away.
- Waves are 4 hrs+ away. SUP surfed a few weeks ago and might go next weekend.
- Going hiking & camping in the mountains in a few weeks.
If you're really into Hood River, Maui, and the Bay area, then you'll be disappointed in Lake Norman. Otherwise, we've got it pretty good here. It's not epic (although we do get a couple of really epic windsurf days per year here), but it will satisfy most outdoor adventure enthusiasts and multi-sport athletes. I haven't been in a gym in close to 15 years.
Skip the gym, use the lake.
(With apologies to Temira!)
P.S. I've still never been to Hood River. That might have to change in 2012.
A fun windsurf day on the lake last year...
A pic from a laid back summer day on the lake...
A couple of pics apres trail riding at the US National Whitewater Center - River's Edge Bar & Grill patio and one of the tallest climbing walls on the east coast...