Saturday, July 26, 2008

We Rocked Our Faces Off!

That's what Jeff said. "We rocked our faces off."

Rob is the link that brought he, his friend Jeff, and I together on Friday evening to attend the Old 97s concert in Charlotte at the Visulite Theater.

What a great show. These guys left it all on the stage with such high energy and sweat. It's tough to classify the Old 97s...but I guess it's best described as alternative country rock.



So what does this have to do with windsurfing? Before you get all snippy on me, remember this blog from time to time will have something other than windsurfing in it. However, Rob has used Old 97s music in some of his windsurfing videos, such as this one. When I hear certain songs, it makes me think of windsurfing, surfing, mountain biking, etc and then I start envisioning my next video creation and what song will be in it.

Rob introduced me to the Old 97s and has also turned me onto some other great bands of similar persuasion. I have always been into various types of music. For example, here is a sample of some of my iPod playlists:

"Island" - Jack Johnson, G Love, Ben Harper, Donavon Frankenreiter, The Beautiful Girls, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley, Peter Tosh, etc.

"Alternative" - Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, My Morning Jacket, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Killers, RadioHead, Modest Mouse, Keane, Joseph Arthur, Moby, Angels and Airwaves, Silversun Pickups, O.A.R., etc. Also includes some great oldie alternative bands like Concrete Blonde, the Pixies, Buffalo Tom, The Replacements, etc.

"Heavy" - includes some "mandatory metal" and other fast paced hard rock such as Disturbed, Korn, Cold, Saliva, My Chemical Romance, Nine Inch Nails, The Offspring, Everclear, Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc.

I've always steered towards alternative. But lately, this alternative country rock thing has really stirred up the musical juices. I've been collecting some stuff that Rob and Jeff are really into and putting into my "Roadtrip" mix since it's so suitable for driving....bands such as:
Wilco, Averitt Brothers, Drive By Truckers, Caleb Caudle, Old 97s, and Rhett Miller (lead singer of Old 97s...his solo stuff). Blues Traveler and Ben Lee also round out this playlist nicely.

I put a Wilco song into this 3 minute Outer Banks picture montage a while back -


Anyway, music is the soundtrack of our lives....I thought I would share some recent stoke about a cool band we saw and mention some of the other music I've been listening to.

No comments: